Tuesday 20 October 2015

Christina Watches: Gilmore Girls S01 E1



Hello, and welcome to what I hope will be a new series of posts here on Just A Girl Geek!

Many moons ago, I put up a poll and some of you voted for the next teen show you wanted me to watch, and blog about, from the beginning.

Well, with many apologies, I threw that poll out the window. Now, I may go back one day and blog about the show you all chose....but today is not that day.

Yesterday, huge news hit the interwebs when it was announced that Netflix would be reviving Gilmore Girls. I've been meaning to watch the show forever, and this feels like a great opportunity to finally write about a show from the very beginning.


Please understand that I don't have a timeline here. I may go weeks between posts about Gilmore Girls. Life happens. I know you all understand. But I do hope you'll stay with me as I watch, write, laugh and yeah, definitely cry over Rory, Lorelai, and the seven seasons of their lives.


So, let's begin with the pilot!


In episode 1, we're obviously introduced to the cast of many characters. There's Lorelai, the fun, beautiful, young, open and moderately successful mom. Lorelai runs an inn.

Rory, the 16 year old daughter of Lorelai.
Sookie, the incredibly clumsy cook that works at the inn.
Lane, Rory's best friend.
Michel, the French, and absolutely hilarious desk clerk that works for Lorelai.
Luke, the health nut who owns the diner Lorelai and Rory frequent.
Dean, the hot boy that crushes on Rory.
And Emily and Richard, Lorelai's rich, and estranged, parents.

Of course, I may have some of these characters wrong. I've only watched one episode, and I'm guessing what most of their roles are.


So! In episode one, Rory is accepted into a very expensive prep school, and Lorelai has to ask her parents for help with the tuition.

Her parents agrees to pay, on one condition: they must be a bigger part of their daughter, and their granddaughters, lives.

It's explained that Lorelai had Rory very young, at age 16, and a mysterious baby daddy named Christopher is somehow still in the picture.

Lorelai's parents were none too pleased when she didn't marry Christopher, and this, along with the teenage pregnancy, is what caused the rift between them.

Meanwhile, Rory, at first very excited to have gotten into Chilton Prep school, meets a new boy at her soon-to-be old school and has second thoughts about leaving.


By the end, Rory realizes the sacrifices Lorelai has has to make to send her to the prep school, and she agrees to go.


My first impressions of Gilmore Girls is that it's a very dated show. There are tons of late '90s/early 2000s pop culture mentions, and the music is also classic.

I absolutely love Michel, and I hope he sticks around for the duration.
Jared Padalecki is absolutely adorable as Dean--and it's so hilarious that his character is named Dean.
I've already fallen in love with Lorelai--I can relate to her on so many levels that it's kinda spooky.
I like Rory as well, but I feel like it's going to take me a few more episodes to get to know who she is and why I need to love her.To be honest, if I didn't know from friends and reviews and Emmy nods that Gilmore Girls is a great, must-see show, I don't think I would have continued past the pilot.

But most shows have a rough first season. Buffy comes to mind, as does Supernatural. And so I'll stick with it, and I hope you do too.


See you all next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment