Saturday 21 July 2012

Movie Review: The Dark Knight Rises


Let me go on record as saying this trilogy will be remembered as one of the BEST ever made. It's right up there with LOTR, in my opinion!

The Dark Knight Rises takes place 8 years after the events in The Dark Knight. With the help of a few handy flashbacks, you'll catch up quickly if you don't recall the last movie.

It's a bit more quiet than the second movie, but no less powerful. Sadly, Heath Ledger IS missed, but Tom Hardy does an unbelievably amazing job as Bane...Although in many scenes you have to listen VERY closely or you might miss what he says. His voice is very odd and slightly muffled. I found myself straining to hear every time he spoke.

Michael Caine is BRILLIANT. Alfred has a bigger role in this film, and Caine just shines. If he doesn't get an Oscar nod, I'll riot! Or....something!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is also just fabulous in his role. I loved his character. That kid is going places. He's amazing.


Anne Hathaway was good. Yes, just 'good'. She didn't wow me, and she was really pretty generic. They could have brought anyone in to be Catwoman as well as Hathaway played her.
Don't get me wrong--I LOVE this Catwoman. She's written very well and in a completely different way than both Berry and Pfeiffer were...I just don't think Hathaway brought her A-game to the role.

In a full theater during an action movie, you'd expect to hear people whispering, the sound of crunching, the rustle of candy bags...
Nope. Not this time. About halfway through, right after a particularly difficult scene to watch, I looked around to find a silent theater. Every eye was riveted to the screen. Hands were still. No one said a word.
That was when I realized that Christopher Nolan had done it again...and this was even better than the last.

The Dark Knight Rises is a DARK film, full of amazing twists and turns that will leave you utterly flabbergasted.
Two tips--Look for some really great guest stars and cameos and HAVE TISSUES.

And the end. Oh, the end. Okay, look, no spoilers, right? But it's PERFECT. Perfect and touching and emotional and PERFECT.

The Dark Knight Rises ties the trilogy together, and it's a strong, wonderful finale to Nolan's Batman films.

I'm positive it'll get a best picture nod, and it'll be a long, LONG time before we see another Batman movie as good as these were.

Well done, Mr. Nolan. And thank you.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so pumped for this movie. Now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spoiler-free commentary. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blake's final scene definitely points to another Nolan adaptation, with Gordon-Levitt in the lead role, I hope...

    ReplyDelete