Wednesday 18 July 2012

Book Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

eBook
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Series: Seraphina #1
Author: Rachel Hartmen



Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.
Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.


Fantasy will always be my first love. Sometimes, when I stray for too long, I forget just how much it really does mean to me.
So thank you, Seraphina, for reminding me and for bringing me home again. :)

This is a REALLY good book. It's got dragons and battles and romance and mystery. Teens who already love fantasy will love Seraphina.
However, this is NOT a good introduction-to-fantasy book.
It does lag a bit in the middle and I found my eyes glazing over for a chapter or two before it picked back up.

Seraphina is a wonderful character. The 'garden in her head' is an amazingly brilliant idea. Wow.
She's very likable and by the end of the book, I didn't want to leave Goredd. I wanted to follow her new adventures right away!

The dragons are written in a new and unique way. Genius, really. Dragons that can take human form and walk among us!

My favourite characters are minor, but oh, so important. Fruit Bat and Loud Lad. I know you'll fall for them just as hard as I did. ;)

There are a few parts that will make you emotional and one or two that will make you laugh out loud.

I'm really, really looking forward to book 2.

I definitely recommend Seraphina to fantasy lovers of all ages!


2 comments:

  1. This book intrigues me. Thanks for the review! I'll make sure to check it out for myself = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do! I'd love to hear what you think! :)

      Delete