Monday 27 February 2012

Movie Review- The Descendants



Before writing this review, I decided to go through George Clooney's IMDB page. Oddly enough, it seems that I haven't seen a whole lot of George Clooney films!
I suppose that the types of films he tends to gravitate towards just don't interest me, and I can honestly say that if The Descendants hadn't been on Oscar nominee, I probably wouldn't have seen it, either.

I wish I could say that this is Clooney at his best, but, you know, since I haven't seen a ton of Clooney movies, I don't feel qualified to!
I can say, however, that out of the few Clooney films I HAVE seen, this was by far his best and most moving performance.
(What I've seen- His Batman movies, Ocean's Eleven, Dusk til Dawn, Perfect Storm, and O, Brother Where Art Thou?)

In The Descendants, George Clooney plays Matt King, the father of two daughters who has to re-evaluate his life after his wife suffers a tragic boating accident.
Clooney is very convincing as a father who's lost touch with his girls, especially considering that he has no kids himself and thus, has no real life experience to draw on!
King is charming and aloof and Clooney seems just perfect for this role.

Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller are also wonderful as Alex and Scottie, King's two daughters.
They both play their parts unbelievably well, and the addition of Nick Krause as Sid brings a much-needed added touch of humour to an otherwise emotional and heavy movie.

Both the film and Clooney himself are well deserved of the Oscar nods they received.

The Descendants is a touching, moving and thoughtful movie set against a beautiful Hawaiian backdrop that WILL have you in tears from time to time. Have tissues close. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment