Friday 3 February 2012

Midnight In Paris--My Thoughts


I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm NOT a Woody Allen fan. I'm also NOT an Owen Wilson fan. And the third strike against this film before I even watched it? I'm NOT a fan of rom-coms. Needless to say, I was actually dreading having to watch this movie for my annual 'watch all the Oscar nominated films before the Oscars air' tradition.
But this time--I'm happy to say--I was pleasantly surprised.

This is going to be difficult to write about without spoilers, but I'll do my best.

I'll start with the good...
This is a fun movie. You don't have to think much and it will leave most people smiling.
I really enjoyed the historical characters. Kathy Bates and Adrian Brody are especially endearing in this film. I loved the part with the hippopotamus (you'll get it if you see it). ;)
It's quite fun trying to figure out which famous person will show up next.
The scenery is gorgeous. Of course it is. It's Paris.
I liked the twist it had. You don't expect to see time travel in a Woody Allen movie.


And now the bad...
Owen Wilson is miscast in this part. He fumbles too much, he doesn't make you care much about his character and he's just not believable.
It's a very predicable movie. Aside from the twist mentioned above, you see what's coming a mile away.
I didn't care about any of the present day characters. At all. I didn't care what happened to them. I didn't care about what they were saying. Just didn't care.
The end was just cheesy. I mean, I don't mind some cheese...but this was a huge, gooey mess of icky cheese.
We didn't spend enough time with the historical characters. I know that would make it a sci-fi film, but I would have been much happier if the whole thing had been about THOSE characters.

If you're a Woody Allen fan, you'll LOVE this movie. See it.
If you're a rom-com fan, you'll also LOVE this movie. You should see it, too.

Myself? I enjoyed it. I'm glad I saw it. But I'll never watch it again.
Have you seen it? What did you think of Midnight in Paris?

No comments:

Post a Comment